Cheshire East Council reopened its household waste and recycling centres on Monday 11 May.
However, Members and residents are asked to note that they will open with restrictions and traffic management in place.
Residents are urged to only travel to a site where the journey is essential and where the waste or recycling cannot be safely stored at home until a later date.
All eight sites will reopen, operating seven days a week from 8.30am–5pm. All users of the sites will need to observe social distancing measures which, unfortunately, means site staff will not be able to assist anyone.
Additional restrictions and measures to be aware of include:
- Access is permitted for cars only. No vans, vehicle trailers or commercial vehicles will be allowed in;
- No more than two people should be in the car and no children are allowed. Where younger children can’t stay at home, they will be allowed to travel in but they must not get out of the car;
- Site staff will not be able to assist with the unloading or lifting of items. People are advised to ensure they can do this themselves or to have a second person with them to help with heavy or bulky items;
- Pedestrians must not access the site. Access is by car only;
- For safety purposes, a traffic management system will be in place at all sites. Queuing outside the sites will be restricted and residents may be asked to leave and return later;
- Sites will be operating on a ‘one out, one in’ basis for cars, so residents are warned that waiting times may be significantly longer;
- A car number plate system will be in operation. This will help control the number of visitors to the sites each day. Drivers’ access to the site will be based on the last number on their vehicle registration plate. Number plates on which the last number is odd – 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9, for the first week of the reopening of the sites (w/c 11 May) will be given access on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. Number plates where the last number is even – 0, 2, 4, 6 and 8 will be given access to the sites for the first week on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Further information on this and the rota will be shown the council’s website;
- To help prevent people travelling from areas outside of Cheshire East, residents may be asked for evidence of their address – and so are advised to have a recent utility bill or council tax bill with them;
- Once on site, all cars must be parked at least two metres away from the next one;
- It is everyone’s own responsibility to adhere to the two-metres social distancing when on the site. Please be considerate, therefor, towards others using the site;
- The waste permit system will not be operating due to the car-only policy;
- Access to the sites will be removed for people using abusive language or intimidating behaviour towards site staff or other people; and
- Waste from households containing people who have Covid-19 symptoms should be double bagged and left for 72 hours before being brought to site.
For more information visit the HWRC webpage (opens new window).